Family Based Immigration


Practice Areas


Start Your Immigration Journey

We assist clients in successfully navigating the impersonal and complex process of the U.S. immigration system. Our years of experience mean that our attorneys provide knowledgeable legal service to our clients.


Compassionate Family Immigration Legal Guidance

Family reunification is one of the cornerstones of U.S. immigration policy. If you are the spouse, parent, or child of a U.S. citizen, you can get a green card through their sponsorship. If you are the adult child or sibling of a U.S. citizen, or the family-member of a green card holder, you can also get a green card through family sponsorship, but the wait times can be decades long. Our goals at Magnolia Immigration Law are to find a legal way to reunite family in the short term as well as getting a green card for the long term.


Call Magnolia Immigration Law today at (321) 558-2555 or contact us online to schedule a meeting.

Understanding Family-Based Immigration Categories

In the United States, citizens and permanent residents (also known as green card holders) can submit a petition to a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office or online to allow a family member to live in the U.S. as a lawful permanent resident (or LPR), otherwise known as a green card holder. Filing a petition on behalf of a foreign national is also referred to as “sponsoring” them.

The U.S. government categorizes family members of citizens and permanent residents into two main groups: immediate relatives and family preference immigrants.

For immigration purposes, only the following groups are considered immediate relatives:

  • Spouses of U.S. citizens
  • Unmarried children (under 21) of U.S. citizens
  • Parents of U.S. citizens

On the other hand, the category of family preference immigrants includes any of the following: 

  • F1 - Unmarried sons and daughters (over 21) of U.S. citizens
  • F2A - Spouses and children (under 21) of permanent residents
  • F2B - Unmarried sons and daughters (over 21) of permanent residents
  • F3 – Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
  • F4 - Siblings of U.S. citizens (so long as the U.S. citizen is over 21)

Other relatives who fall outside these two categories may still qualify for family-based visas, such as individuals engaged to U.S. citizens, their children, and surviving spouses of deceased U.S. citizens.

If you are planning to sponsor a family member to become a lawful permanent resident, it is important to know that the immigration process differs for immediate relatives and family preference immigrants. For one, there is no cap on the number of visas the U.S. government grants to immediate relatives, but there is a limit to how many they grant to family preference immigrants. The specific documentation that must be submitted also varies between each family-based immigration category.

Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of Status is the process that allows a nonimmigrant visa holder to become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder). Whether a family member is eligible for Adjustment of Status is a complicated analysis that requires the aid of an experienced immigration attorney. We are here to help.

Family Based Immigration

Magnolia Immigration Law has been practicing immigration law for over two decades. We understand the ins and outs of the visa application process. You can rest easy knowing that we’ll use our experience and knowledge to make the family immigration process as smooth and simple as possible. Since we opened our doors, we have helped countless individuals reunite with their families by offering informed and passionate legal counsel and guidance on family-based immigration.


Contact us today by calling (321) 558-2555 or completing our contact form to schedule a consultation.